Yaroslavl is one of the oldest Russian cities- also called city-monument,
city-temple and museum under the open sky, counting 850 notable
historical and cultural sights, it was founded in XI century, not
1010 by Yaroslav Vladimirovich The Wise - the prince from Rostov.
Millennial history made Yaroslavl the
notable spectator of historical events. Yaroslavl was famous for its
arts and crafts from old times - country-famous icons and
world famous libraries originate from Yaroslavl.
Famous epic 'The lay of Igor's Host' was found in one o f Yaroslavl
libraries. Also first public theater was built in Yaroslavl.
Every meter of city center, which is protected by UNESCO, has a rich
the Wise monument
The monument to
the city founder was finished in 1993 on
Bogoyavlenskaya square. The city's coat of arms, duel between Prince
Vladimir and the bear can be seen on pedestal.
Prince's sculpture with the book tops the pedestal.
Was founded in
XII century near
main river Kotorosl crossing, as a vital part
of city defence. Prominent regional
religious and cultural center. Here in
1612 people's levy marched to free
Moscow. Central part of ensemble is
Spaso-Preobrazhenskiy cathedral -
oldest stone temple in region, it was
built in beginning of XVI century. The
belfry is 30 meters high - picturesque
hilled riverside can be seen from there.
(Our Lady of Kazan)
Erected in 1997
near the gates of
Spaso-Preobrazhenskiy monastery -
on the very place where 385 years ago recruits marched to free Moscow.
Historical and Architectural Museum
Spaso-Preobrazhenskiy monastery is occupied by expositions
of historical and architectural museum of Yaroslavl. Russian silver,
books, icons, frontal and ornamental sewing and ancient treasures can
there. Special exposition is dedicated to epic poem 'The lay of
Nikon the Patriarch in Yarolavl the reformer of Russian Orthodox church
died on 17th of August, 1681 on the opposite to Spaso-Preobrazhensky
monastery, bank of Kotorosl river.
Embankment is one of
the best on Volga. Boulevards, trees and old wooden mansions form
Yaroslavl embankment as one unique
piece of the art. In 1840-s wooden grate separating walking alleys from
was replaced by metallic - that was a gift by Petukhov Merchant
known as 'Kings of Russian Iron'.
old Russian for
strip of land, between two joining rivers, usually wedge-shaped. Many
old Russian towns were built on such
places - Yaroslavl is one of them.
High, steep cape on border of two rivers is told to be the the seed of
Nearby, the newly-erected and blessed
glorious Uspenskiy Cathedral stands
commemorating the 1000-th anniversary
of city founding. It occupies the
same place where the same-named,
erected in 1219, cathedral stood.
of John the Baptist
architecture and early Russian art. This remarkable
building was erected from 1671 to 1687. It was built
in Tolchkovskaya Sloboda (Settlement). Main building - Church of John
the Baptist has sixlayered carved iconostasis
and remarkable frescoes. It is first in Christian world in variety of
Ensemble in Korovniki
in first part of
XVII century - one of the masterpieces
of Russian architecture. Ensemble
stands on a right bank of Volga, near
Kotorosl river. It contains the temple
of John the Chrysostom, Sretenskiy
Temple, layered belfry (so-called 'Candle
of Yaroslavl') built in Naryshkin
baroque style, Holy Gates and Wall
banding together the whole ensemble.
the Prophet Church
example of Yaroslavl architectural school of XVII century.
Church was built on funds of renown brothers Skrypin - famous merchant
family. Greatest painters of that time - Guriya Nikitin and Syla Savin
were invited from Kostroma city. Frescoes astonish all visitors . Rich
supplemented by carved, gold painted iconostasis, icons, painted
border and rich church utensils.
of Christmas Church
This church was
Volga embankment. The Church itself
contains unique belfry and several
sacral architecture elements - Holy
gates, gate church and belfry on top.
First church in Yaroslavl to have unique
green tiles made with special technology.
Church was built in 1635-1644 by
the local stonemason team.
founded in 1314 by Tryphon, the bishop of Rostov. As
legend says the icon of Our Lady manifested itself on future monastery
Monastery saw many up and downs during 700 years. In the beginning of
XV century it burned to ashes during fire, in XVII it was robbed by
polish intervents and in 1917
it was abolished by Bolsheviks. In 1987 the nunnery was founded. The
wondrous icon of Our Lady of Tolga attracts many of pious people
Museum of Fine Art
provincial museum in central Russia. The main building,
ex-governor mansion is situated on Volzhskaya Naberezhnaya, 23. This
mansion was built by the Yaroslavl architect Petr Pankov in 1821-1823
and served as official residence of Yaroslavl governor. When members
of Emperor's family visited Yaroslavl they were used for their
of icons, Russian avant-garde paintings and urban portrait kept in
museum are noteworthy. The Governor's garden was restored to
authenticity in 1980-90s. It bands together
the mansion and surroundings in one
Chambers serves as museum of old Russian art (Volzhskaya
Naberezhnaya, 1) - one of the oldest buildings in city, rare piece of
civil architecture of XVII century with walls as thick as 2 meters,
arches and inner staircases. The chambers were built as Yaroslavl
bishop Jonah Sysoevich. Catherine the Great was staying there twice
visiting Yaroslavl. Museum contains the richest collection of early
- among it the famous Russian pre-mongolian icon - 'Spas the Almighty'.
Also, a big
collection of tile s dating back to XIII-XX centuries can be seen there.
House-museum Leonid Sobinov
famous Russian singer Leonid Sobinov is situated
on Sobinova str., 25. This is the only museum dedicated to one of the
singers of 'Silver age' . Exposition is the material incarnation of
creativity of famous tenor, shows the variety of scenic images.
take delight in hearing the voice of maestro from early phonograph
made in XX century and take a glance through his costumes.
City History Museum
of museum lets visitors walk the 'stairway of
time' - exposition spans from IX century
to nowadays. Six halls are dedicated to
history of Yaroslavl from foundation till
nowadays. Museum has the notable collection
of archeological materials XIII-XV
centuries, extracted at city center and
collection of jewelry authored by renown
artisan Nikolay Nuzhdin - citizen of
Yaroslavl. Tickets can be purchased from
10.00 to 17.00 daily except Tuesday.
Museum 'Music and time'
time' is the first private museum in Yaroslavl (Volzhskaya
naberezhnaya, 33a) founded by John Mostoslavsky. Most of the exposition
bells - from big to tiny - altogether more than 2000 pieces. Musical
instruments - harmoniums, organs, music boxes, gramophones and
phonographs are also prominent. Collection of watches is presented
by works of famous European masters - Baker, Bure and Moser. The
is topped by goldworked icons of XIX-XX century.
After great city fire in 1658, that
devoured half of Yaroslavl, city was surrounded
by 16 stone towers and earthen bank. Two main buildings remain from
that time - Volzhskaya - main entrance
to city from water and Vlasyevskaya - main entrance from land.
Vlasyevksya tower is a great piece
of early Russian masonry. Loopholes for shooting arrows, special holes
for boiling oil were two main means of defense
at that time and can be found in Vlasyevskaya tower. Volzhskaya tower
was also used for scouting the wharf
and nearby water.
Russian Academic Theater named
after Fyodor Volkov
Russian public theater bears the name of Fyodor Volkov, its founder -
it was founded by citizen of Yaroslavl. First play was staged on the
10th of July 1752 in
leatherworks barn of his stepfather- it was 'Esther' by Jean
Racin in Volkov translation. Public theater as a structure appeared
much later - in 1882 - it was one of the best in Russia. Many
of the famous actors started their ascension there - Strepetova,
Moskvin, Leonid Sobinov. In 1909 architect Nikolay Spirin
won the tender on new theater building. The building was erected in
1911. This neo-classic building is one of main city sights.
Fyodor Volkov The founder of first Russian theater had many talents:
was fluent in German, was skillful at graphics and good at sciences.
the Great summoned him to Saint-Petersburg in 1752.
State protected literary memorial
is tied with the name of
Nikolay Nekrasov - it is only 15 kilometers from Yaroslavl near Krasnye
Tkachi village. The territory of
museum includes mansion(so-called
'Big House') and additional buildings and two parks - regular park
and natural park with cascade system.
Firstly it belonged to Golytsyns Dynasty, but in 1861 it was bought as
a summer residence by N.A.
Nekrasov - the great Russian poet. Ten summer seasons (1861-1875) were
spent here by poet and many
masterpieces like 'Moroz the Red Nose' , 'Russian Women', 'Who can be
happy in Russia' and dozens of
famous poems were created here. Karabikha is the only Russian estate
which is well kept and remains untouched by renovations from XVIII
century. Poetry contests are held ther since 1967 yearly. It attracts
the poets all over the region. Poets
recite their works in historic scenery of this old mansion.